Tuesday, February 23, 2010

for my 245 students: comment required by March 4th, 5pm













The Times covers new tech very well.  This first article describes Google's attempt to develop a "Twitter" style site:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/18/technology/personaltech/18pogue.html?scp=1&sq=buzz%20twitter&st=Search


This article covers Skype's efforts to be used on cellphones. 
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/18/technology/18voip.html?scp=2&sq=skype%20barcelona&st=Search


Please comment by Wednesday next week on EITHER article...due March 3rd, 2pm

18 comments:

  1. I believe after reading this article and about verizon's deal with skype that allowing skype on the phone software is beneficial to both consumer and supplier. I think this because the customer is still paying for a plan and for minutes and using a skype call is counted against the customers minutes so they are not getting ripped off by the people talking for free using skype. Also skype software being available on the phone might make a certain carrier appeal to customers more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based off the description of the NY Times article about 'Google Buzz,' I don't feel it is going to be a huge success because it's been done already. It seems as if it's a knockoff of Twitter with slightly advanced features, but ironically I believe that the simplistic nature of Twitter is the exact reason it is so popular. Because 'Google Buzz' allows posts to be more than 140-characters + enables attaching photos/audio, it would also be more time consuming to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts on the Skype article are very similar to that of Sarah's. I do believe it would benefit Verizon very much if they added Skype to a new, upcoming cell phone. Adding Skype seems like something that AT&T would add to their iPhone's and bringing that service to Verizon could really increase consumer appeal. Also, a lot of businesses who's employees are traveling utilize Skype on a regular basis for meetings and so forth, so this feature could be very useful to many people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use gmail and I was very annoyed with the automatic subscription to Buzz. Complete fail for me because I dont have a real purpose for it at this point. Happy to hear that they have tweeked it and hopefully it will improve with time. Concerning Skype, I hope this will become available on phones for people- although something tells me it won't be as easy as dailing a number so it wont be as big as it is online. We deserve options and Skype just that. If the big companies are worried, they should adjust thier plans or they will stay behind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel as if Google is doing too much. As my little sister would say they need to take a back seat and go somewhere. Somewhere very far away. Google has no concern for the privacy of their users, and when they do attempt to take these things into consideration it's a lame and halfway attempt. Twitter is a behemoth because of it's simplicity, when has Google ever understood simplicity outside of it's search engine? Even now, the changes they are making to search engine page is ridiculous, what is this fade out crap? I was confused and started using Yahoo for a while. Google is fighting for a to spot on the internet and Social Networking is just not Google's forte.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the article on Skype and I have mixed feelings. I think that if we want our cell phones to be able to do everything that our computer can then sure our mobile phones should allow skype to run on them. However, I think that safety is a major concern here. Think of all the accidents caused by texting, now people will be able to Skype while driving? That can't lead to good things. I think that Companies in Europe have been more willing to allow this because they tend to run off of public transportation more than the U.S, therefore not having such a risk factor of people driving and skyping. I'm not sure if at this point If Skype is something I feel is necessary to have on our cell phones. I think there are some things that are better left for our actual coputers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mobile phones are becoming small portable laptops. I think mobile phones should allow Skype on their phone if they choose to allow access to the internet. As the Internet goes mobile, companies should allow the entire internet. I can understand the fear that companies have of loosing money as people start to use skype for free instead of making phone calls. But companies will loose even more money when people stop using phones all together and just rely on computers to connect with others. Phone companies have to remain appealing. Just as Pandora Radio can be used on mobile phones for free for a certain amount of time per month, Prehaps a Skype application can be used but limited as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there guys -- what connection do you see here between this issue and the net neutrality issue?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I personally don't think that the Google Buzz will be as successful as Twitter. Twitter users can post links to pictures and videos. The 140 characters makes Twitter fun and exciting. Google Buzz just seems like another Twitter with a few changes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I FEEL AS IF GOOGLE BUZZ HAS A CHANCE OF BECOMING SOMETHING AS BIG AS TWITTER OR MAYBE BIGGER. IT IS JUST A MATTER OF TIME. EVERYONE IS ALWAYS SEARCHING FOR SOMETHING BIGGER & BETTER & ACCORDING TO THIS ARTICLE GOOGLE BUZZ IS. FOR EXAMPLE, MYSPACE WAS AMAZING WHEN IT FIRST CAME OUT, LATER PEOPLE GOT THE HANG OF FACEBOOK, AND MANY PEOPLE DELETED THEIR MYSPACE & GET ON FACEBOOK NOW.IT WAS JUST A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE ANOTHER IDEA CAME TO COMPETE WITH TWITTER; & PEOPLE WILL SLOWLY CONVERT...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I personally think twitter and even google buzz is pointless. What need is there to make sure everyone knows what you are doing. Honestly I wouldn't care what anyone was doing if I was following them on twitter. There is no need for this tool on the internet. I think twitter should stay the way it is and not have a competitor try and one up the already existing communication tool by allowing more characters and photos to the so called "tweet".

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel that adding skype to cellphone carries would be a good idea not only because technology is advancing everyday, but it would be more beneficial to the supplier. If sype is available not only on computers, but on on cellphones as well, it will be more appealing to the consumers. Having skype on cellphones is more convenient and easier to use.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that skype would be a good addition to be put on a cellphone. Having skype at your fingertips at all times of the day will give you the ease of talking to people in other ways other than through phone calls and texts. I think it will also bring in more money for the cell phone carriers if they charge a fee to use the program like they do with using the internet on cell phones.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think Verizon Wireless allowing Skype on their 3G network is great news to consumers. It proves that network neutrality is possile. I think AT&T and other providers not allowing VOIP services are actually doing more harm to their business model because customers will go to a network that hass less restrictions.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel like putting Skype on cell phones would be awesome. Not everyone has the oppurtunity to have a webcam, but everyone has a cell phone. They way that technology is evolving, anything is possible. It gives you an oppurtunity to see a persons nonverbal signs even if your on the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't understand why skype should be allowed on phones. There are already risk issues involed with people trying to be on their phones and drive and do other things so why add another distraction? yeah I guess it would be good for business but it's strange to me...

    ReplyDelete
  17. i think this is an AMAZING idea. everyone needs to accept the fact that new media is happening! weither they like it or not new and better things are going to come out to make communication not only easier but more enjoyable,this is a great example of one. i do everthing from my cell phone already so why not skype? :0)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read the article about Skype and I definitely think that would boost Verizon's appeal to a lot of people. Since verizon doesn't have the iphone, yet, this would give people a reason to choose verizon or maybe even leave AT&T. While of course there are always safety issues companies have to do what they can to get customers and money so for Verizon this would be a very profitable deal.

    ReplyDelete