Hi all --
The BBC has created a helpful video story about net neutrality, the issue I discussed in class today. Please watch it and comment here, on my blog, for your Feb. 17th peep:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/8512908.stm
Have a great weekend,
Dr. Bock
Friday, February 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Dr. Bock,
ReplyDeleteI believe that the Internet should stay an open gateway for all users. Like many are saying in the video, if someone has an idea that could possibly turn into the next big thing on the web, they should have the right to that idea, whether they created it in their basement or their CEO office. Today, more and more, we are given restrictions as to what we can and can not do, say, and even so far as, think, but the Internet is still one place where every individual has the ability to express themselves, and I think it is only fair that it be kept that way. All gateways should be treated equally.
Dr. Bock,
ReplyDeleteI feel that this issue should never have come about. It is almost scary to think that this is a possiblity; no one should control my internet usage and what sites I can and cannot visit because my ISP won't allow my to. I feel that this will devastate the internet. People won't be able to research and blog or facebook like before. The ISP will have to "give you permission" to search the sites. This is going too far.
I think that to even consider limiting the sites an ISP allows access to is an outrageous idea. What makes them think that going from complete online freedom to adding restrictions is going to go over well with the public? President Obama brings up a good point about keeping websites free because someone with a good idea may not be able to expand that idea due to financial issues. Many of the larger, more popular websites today were created by either college students or young adults who were once brainstorming ideas and decided to put those ideas into action via the internet. If at that time they would have had to pay in order to create their website and share their idea, there might not be a Facebook, Blogspot, MySpace, Skype, etc.
ReplyDeleteDr. Bock,
ReplyDeleteI think we should keep the internet open.It would be so unfair for someone to tell me where && what I can do in my on time. I personally believe all the ISP's are maybe scared that someone w/ a bigger && better idea, and they may be intimidated. Also, the fact that charging people money, well in our financial problems we are having, doesn't seem like a nice idea.
I too think we should keep the internet open. We dont want to create gateways where people with good ideas can't create them because of money. I also, don't want ISP's deciding where I go. I pay for my internet, I want to be able to go where I want. I agree with this clip where it says small companies wouldnt have a chance to compete with multi billion dollar companies. If things changed, I think a lot of people would be turned off by the internet.
ReplyDeletei believe that the internet should stay open to everyone. i think restricting access to sites on the internet would deter people away from using the internet which would ultimately result in less money for the ISPs. New and interesting websites are popping up all over the internet to help people do many things and if these websites stop popping up the internet will lost its popularity.
ReplyDeleteRestricting access from certain ISP's would lead to a digital-downfall. Not only do I feel this concept to be inappropriate considering the poor-condition of our current economy, but wouldn't that also make internet-advertising less valuable to restricted networks, since not as many consumers will be reached? And since many networks rely on advertising to gain profit, wouldn't they only be hurting themselves through restricted accessibility? Most people would not want to pay extra for something that was once free, if not a necessesity.
ReplyDeleteAnother invasion, allowing for those already in power to keep and expand their power. Its all about money. I don't trust them, not Google nor Verizon. It sounds to me like everything will start lightly and then grow very restricting. Who knows! Something like this could start the very end of the internets usefulness. I tend to think very liberal when comes to issues like these, I wont use the internet the way I used to, if its being controlled like this. Two thumbs down!
ReplyDeleteRestricting internet use would just be way to monopolize one of the biggest medias in the country. If this actually happens anything you would read or see on the internet would be totally controlled to the point that no one would really have a real opinion. The internet is one way for people to speak freely and interact with one another on basically anything. It is one of the most reliable outlets for information for our generation and to shut it down would leave so many people lost.
ReplyDeleteI think that the whole idea of having to pay even more to use the internet, and then be told what we can do on it, how to do it and when to do it is ridiculous. I think its just another idea by the people who are already rich to find another thing that they can control by buying it up and taking it over. If this change were to take place i would cut the amount of time i am on the internet drastically as well as what i use the internet for.
ReplyDeleteIn all honesty this idea seems completely out of line to me. The article even said that one major aspect of communication, television,is highly controlled by the cable providers and this would be the general idea of net neutrality. People pay a monthly fee and should be able to do as they please in the privacy of their home without having to worry about something being restricted or blocked. I think if it were to happen ISP's would be facing major losses by consumers dropping them. Who wants to pay more or be told what they can and cannot look at on the internet? It would basically be a waste of money.
ReplyDeleteI feel like if the smaller websites have to pay the ISP's more then the web will start to have a monopoly of certain websites. It will eliminate competition between sites. I think the internet has to stay open and free to everyone.
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't use the internet if it was restricted. I don't bother using it in public schools in Philadelphia as it is because all the popular websites restricted, such as youtube and facebook. I believe businesses would fail & advertisements wouldn't be as popular. I believe the internet should remain open and I agree with what Obama was saying, not only will this prevent a lot of good ideas from taking place but it also only benefits the rich.
ReplyDeleteI think that everything is starting to get out of hand. It isn't fair that consumers would have to pay even more for a service that we are already used to getting at a low rate. Even though corporations are going to try to get their share of money out of all of this, people are going to find new ways to get the internet cheap. There are new ISP's popping up all over the place that are offering lower prices than the next company so who is to say that if they start charging more for the services new companies won't come out and do the same thing. Even though people say they won't use the internet if it was restricted, it's what we're used to. I can't imagine a day without using the internet, but I guess with all these restriction talks, I might have to start.
ReplyDeleteI think that the internet shoould stay open. If for nothing else it should stay open to keep me happy. I spend countless hours a day online doing random things that are to my liking. They may as well leave things the way they are now. I'm payin for it so that's out of the question for me. I live for Nike.com and DallasCowboys.com take that away and I really have an issue not to mention the countless school work that I must do. Simply out of controland out of hand.
ReplyDeleteI believe that this is just a way for Internet Service Providers to receive more money. It is not fair to the consumers who use the internet on a daily basis because these consumers are already paying a small fee for the Internet already. Nor, is it fair for someone who has a very good idea about a new social website such as Facebook or Myspace because the chances of their newly created website becoming popular would be very low. This attack on net neutrality has opened my eyes to the greediness of some of these big companies.
ReplyDeleteI truely believe that it is absurd that a higher power can eliminate our uses on the internet. When you are paying the ISP it only seems fair that they allow you to use the service to the best of your liking. I don't want to be restricted on the internet. I don't think anyone wants to be restricted. I use the internet for blogging, facebook, school, games, and music. If you strip that away from me its going to be useless for me to use the internet anymore. There should be no gateways and the internet should be open and stay at a flat monthly rate that everyone is so used to.
ReplyDeleteI believe that the internet should stay open, so that everyone can utilize it. Whether it is for the use of entertainment or trying to start your own business company. Like President Obama stated, " The internet should stay open because we do not want to create a bunch of gateways that could prevent someone who wants to start their next youtube or google." It is 2010 and over the past couple of years, technology has changed drastically, and the type of high-tech things that people come up with, can be very useful to a lot of people nowadays.
ReplyDeleteThe internet it growing everday with new ideas that do fascinate people, but I do not think it would be right to start paying the ISP. I use the internet everyday, but if i start to get restricted the internet will be useless to me and I'm sure will be useless to many others.
ReplyDeleteI believe the internet should stay open to everyone and for people to have to pay to get higher priority and faster broadband speeds goes directly against what Tim Berners Lee wanted. With open internet everyone benefits but consumers benefit the most.
ReplyDeleteI believe that the internet should remain an open source. I feel as if this is coming from the threat that open social networking is imposing upon major news channels. Since they are no longer the go to for important information regrading current events.
ReplyDeleteI think that the Internet should stay public and all users should have access to any site they want to access. It would be unfair for ISP's to limit access to only their content. I could see ISP's bot allowing users to change their homepage to something other than the ISP's page.
ReplyDelete