Friday, February 3, 2012

For my Mass Media (SPE-212) students: Big Changes at P&G

We will talk more about this when we reach the advertising chapter, but this news about Procter & Gamble is very significant.  P&G has historically been one of the biggest spenders on advertising in the world.  Social media is changing the game.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think online advertising is as effective as televised advertising. Online ads are generally invasive--popping up to interrupt whatever it is the viewer was engaged in. Online ads are evidently solicitors. Despite the major concerns of commercial-skipping technology like DVRs and Tivos, I think viewers are more likely to watch an advertisement on TV rather than online. When an online ad or commercial takes over my computer screen, I either move onto another site until I can "X" it out, or I space out for 5 seconds. Often times, one ad is played repeatedly. Televised ads are more engaging and eye-catching. Whether it be because of a favored celebrity, an outrageous montage, or simply a well-liked brand, TV ads are more memorable. Online ads are flat and succinct. I think it's silly for Procter & Gamble to pull revenue from televised commercials and dump it into the internet. I think the target audience for their products is more likely to see their ads on TV than the internet. Most consumers who spend time on the internet are not 30-year-old+ moms or little old ladies with a purse full of coupons. And even though DVRS and Tivos are popular these days, often times viewers will either forget to fast-forward, or they will stay on the channel if the ad is engaging.

    ReplyDelete