Saturday, March 3, 2012

Catching up with media coverage

Hi everyone -- every once in a while, I need to post a set of miscellany about what's going on in the media and the study of communication.  This is one of those days...feel free to comment on any or all of these items.

First, an article from the New York Times on how ratings for the Oscars show were disappointing.  (Of course, coverage started at 3 o'clock in the afternoon...did ABC overdo it?

For anyone interested in online privacy -- the world has been buzzing this month.  Google is changing its policies (as a blogger user, you should pay attention to this, as your other Google product activity will be tracked together).   Facebook filed for a public offering (so this means you could buy stock, if you have a few grand laying around.  The Times devoted much of a Sunday editorial section to social networking early in February, and included this from Lori Andrews on social networking can hurt you when it comes to getting a job or paying for insurance.

We've been talking about convergence in SPE-212, and here's a  great article on how various news organizations are creating their own video shows online. For my students interested in the future of journalism, this business page piece provides a nice overview of the Washington Post  and its current challenges. 

Finally, for my SPE-370 students, the Times recently published a retrospective on the work of abstract artist Ellsworth Kelly that includes a slide show.

2 comments:

  1. I like how Ellsworth kelly believes the negative space is just as important as the positive. I believe that is true when it comes to artwork. Everything on the canvas is art not just the painted areas. I enjoy his work because it is on the abstract side and abstract is my favorite type of art. I believe abstract art has a mind of its own and the audience can interpret the piece anyway they would like, which is incredible. The fact that Kelly is 88 years old and his career has been alive for seven decades shows how amazing of an artist Kelly is. The end of the article states that Kelly has been “fearless to his commitment to the limitless possibly of abstraction”. This is incredible and other artist should look up to Kelly for motivation and positivity when living an artist lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the Oscars tried a little too hard this year. Since coverage started so early people, including myself were tired of watching and not as interested when it came time for the actual event. I find this happening a lot with different award shows so it’s no surprise the Oscars got in on the all-day event. ABC over did it and I think that is what is shown on the rating scale. This year was not the best year for the Oscars and it disappointed the organization greatly. I think they should keep in mind time length and people’s attention spans for next year’s show. Maybe this will get them more ratings. As for young viewers, the Oscars seem to be an older award show. As the article states the organization is made up of mostly older people. There are other awards shows geared towards teens and young adults. This includes, VMA’s, Teen choice Awards, BET awards, etc. I think the Oscars do appeal to all audience depending on your forte but the majority of the younger audience does not toon in at three o clock and watch the Oscar overage until the show is over. Overall, I believe ABC over did the Oscar airtime and people became bored quickly. ABC should not be upset about their young audience because they are gearing there show more towards middle aged and older people.

    ReplyDelete