Monday, March 8, 2010

for 245 students: Read & comment by March 17th, 3-point peep











http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/21/weekinreview/21bilton.html

23 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Bock,

    Reading this article made me feel uneasy, yet at the same time it made me curious. As the article says unlike Facebook and Twitter, there is no log in, nothing that ties you to who you really are, other than what you choose to share. And I do not necessarily think that it is a bad thing, I think multiphrenia will exist no matter what. However, what disturbs me is the fact that anyone can use it, and nothing is censored or restricted. This creates an open door for illegal and scary activity. Unofortunately (of fortunately?) this is quickly becoming the future of the Internet.

    Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Bock,

    I think this is crazy! I have never tried it and I am not sure if I ever will. It just seems weird to me that someone I don't know at all can see me and where I am. I also think that kids should not be on this website at all but as the article says, it is likely that they will find a way to get on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Bock,
    This site seems troublesome to me. Ironically, although this site was created by a 17-year old, the founder is in the same age group Chatroulette could be incredibly dangerous towards. The concept of having "invited crashers" could be fun if used cautiously and only for entertainment, but it also allows mischief among adolescent teens who may use it for meeting friends or dating (leaving them vulnerable to more than just hurt-pride, in the case of being next'ed.) The website seems like the highest-notch up towards an invasion of privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr Bock,
    This article was disturbing to say the least. The idea of people peeping into your private life is remarkable. I can't imagine why anyone would want their privacy invaded in such a way. However, if I am being completely honest, it did make me curious. I would never want to put my life on the internet that way. In fact, I am very about what pictures and comments I post on facebook. The concept is somewhat revolutionary. This could be the beginning of something incredible, and like it or not, its the wave of the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chatroulette IS disturbing...most of the time. There are a few times when you find the rare "partner" who simply wants to meet someone new via webcam, but mostly it's perverts and deviants. The idea of Chatroulette could be used for great things though in the future. If a site like that was created containing special interest groups, people could narrow down the kind of people they were seeking. Support groups, groups for people with similar hobbies, etc would probably be utilized by many people and many even become the next tab on our Google toolbar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dr. Bock,
    After reading about ChatRoulette in this article I believe that this website is a very bad idea. I believe that this could potentially be very dangerous if put into the hands of the wrong user such as a young child exposed to one of the peopls using this website for one of the more raunchy reasons. Although I do believe this website will take off I do not think it will be for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dr. Bock,
    After reading the article Chatroulette and giving into my curiosity about it, I do not believe I will be visiting that site again any time soon. While I'm sure it does have great attributes like getting to know people from other places and creating relationships with those people, I saw too many body parts and too much pornography. I feel like this is going to turn into an XXX site, and I really feel young children will be exposed to this the outcome of that will not be good. Since there is no username or signup information, this could get into the wrong hands too easily; it's almost begging for it. I agree with Sarah; this website will take off but I also do not believe it will be for the better. I would not suggest this to anyone under the age of 18.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After reading this article I feel that creating this website will bring about many new experiences for people to enjoy. Just like in other social networking sites you must use caution but all of these sites were created to bring people closer and I believe it is accomplishing this. I will give this a try because I feel it'll be very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that the website will eventually have an 18 or older link to get into the website because of all the "graphic" images. Eventually it may turn into a pornography website and people certainly dont want their kids going to that website. So if there was an 18 to enter link, i think the website would be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that this site is kind of interesting and could be very fun if you are into taking chances with certain things. Although you never know who's going to pop up once you start after they do pop up you never know who or what you will be seeing. Its also kind of rude at the same time because if someone pops up you can just hit the next button and kkep it moving and that may make the person that you passes on feel some kind of way. Although you may never see that person again its still kind of rude just to keep movin and ignore them. IT is good for networking because you get to meet people from all over the world but at the same time the chance of seeing something or even someone disturbing ain't what I'm into

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dr. Bock,
    While I have use chatroulette before and of course found myself laughing hysterically most of the time it is not something I see myself doing all the time. I don't see this website as a threat for anyone unless children (or anyone under the age of 18) is using it and becomes exposed to some inappropriate things. That although is the responsibility of their own parents to monitor. For the time being, it seems fairly harmless to me but it not something I would use every day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This site is another way for people to be really creepy on the internet. I have been on chatroulette before and I found it very disturbing but for some reason my friends and I kept clicking next to see who else we could chat with. It's just so addicting and for some reason you get sucked in and you're interested in talking to these people from all over the world. I wouldn't want my younger siblings going on this site so I think that there should be an age limit or something to get into the site.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chat Roulette seems very interesting and could be entertaining. I don't see it beng too harmful because there are no user names and no registration. Parens should warn their children again and again to not give out personal information. Parents also need to monitor their children online. I don't see any harm in the website, just something for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chat Roulette is another social networking site without limitations. This is a new way of online communication except you can actually see the person. I've never tried this website but after reading this article I am very interested. It seems like it can be fun, but at the same time different. It's like a new online experience because you can see nonverbal cues.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the idea behind Chat Roulette is awesome. I think that there are of course going to be creepy, gross people BUT thats with any internet site that deals with people all over being able to connect. I think that being able to connect with other college students all over the world and get an insight into their culture and what its like for them is awesome. If you get a creepy person just skip them and go onto the next one. I think this site has a really good idea behind it and maybe it just needs a few kinks worked out. It is brand new I think we need to give it sometime to get going and work on it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow. Chat Roulette is too funny. This is the kind of stuff that brings an edge to life. This website is in its beginnings, unaltered or regulated by social ideals and things of that nature. Its clean yet dirty, smart and simple, it's creepy but that’s the internet as a whole. I cannot understand how it will hinder our privacy unless people forget to protect their privacy. Honestly, I am looking forward to getting some of my friends together and trying it out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I feel as if the dangers of the internet are all over. We just need to be mature enough to understand right from wrong and what we should or should not be doing on these sites. Now personally, I think Chatroulette can be super funny, but I also think it should only be used by ppl of a certian age. I guess that's hard to do sayings to how the creator is a minor, but for children to be on it is not so good of an idea. But as far as adults go, ppl are probably sure what they are getting themselves into when logging on. There just might be a chance you get connected to a total perv, but being on this website is taking a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I truthfully believe that chatroulette is not a site to take lightly. I have seen my friends use the website and it is disturbing what some people do on that site. A majority of people use it because they find it funny when they are hanging with their friends and bored but personally if i was bored I wouldn't subject myself to the crude gestures, rude comments, and lack of maturity by a majority of the users of this site. It just seems like another Chris Hanson story from Dateline's To Catch A Predator. Who knows what someone could do over the internet. Possibly luring a younger girl to a guys house is something to look out for. I realize that conversations don't last very long and pressing f9 switches to a new person but there are a lot of innocent young people on this website. I truthfully believe that there should be an age limit. Although a very creative idea, this website should have more restrictions.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dr Bock,
    After reading this article I am very interested in this site. I have had many friends of mine try it and tell me all about it and I just thought it was wierd someone wanting to talk to random people from different countries. But after I read this article it made me want to try it because he explains it and make it sound really interesting. You can really be whoever you want when you hit the next button and no one knows your true identity. I also think this site could possibly be dangerous for young children and that there should be an age restriction as to who goes onto the site when you go on.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dr. Bock,
    Before I read this article I thought Chatroulette was a creepy way to video chat with people you didn't, but after reading the article I find it more interesting than creepy. Yes, you still are talking to random people, but it's more than that, you are also meeting a bunch of different kinds of people from around the world. You get to in a way experience what they are experiencing at the same time they are experiencing it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm amazed a the number of people who feel the need to expose themselves to others this way -- the anonymity of the web seems to fuel all sorts of extreme behavor because there are no social sanctions. We should talk in class about how, and whether, cyber-society can dole out punishments for people who mis-behave.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't like the idea of logging into a chat room and thousands of strangers talking to me. That very very high load environment. even though the idea presents a new frontier in internet communication its also another chip of the block of privacy. I don't like it.

    ReplyDelete