Monday, April 16, 2012

for my SPE-212 students: The role of Antitrust Laws and Media Regulation

Here is an an example example of the government regulating media using anti-trust laws...a lawsuit filed just last week over e-book pricing. 

6 comments:

  1. As a consumer, this is great news. eBooks should be cheap since they cut distribution costs and are easy to store. And if I had to spend over ten dollars on an eBook, I'd rather buy a physical copy.

    It does sound like there was some shadiness going on behind closed doors. Yes, it makes sense for companies to want to profit off eBooks, but come on. $14.99 for a digital file? That's ridiculous. Some hardcover books sell for less.

    I'm glad the government got involved. If anything, I think this will increase competition and benefit customers. Amazon is doing something right when they have the most eBook sales. Perhaps other companies will follow suit and lower their prices to increase sales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know we live in a technology indulgent world, but if I have to buy a book for fifteen dollars electronically when a paperback is half of that, than there's a problem. I understand that companies like Apple need to profit off of the investments but if companies lowered the prices for purchasing, wouldn't it be assumed that the company would gross more?

    It's good to know that Amazon at least sees this point and I'm sure its gross income is doing just fine. I think it was only logical for the Government to get involved and regulate anti-trust laws it will only help out customers and boost sales for companies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From a business standpoint I understand that Apple and other e-book companies are in business to turn a profit, but their way of going about it definitely did not sit well with legal officials and the general public.
    From a consumer standpoint, it’s fantastic that this action have been taken. The great thing about digital book files is that consumers often get these texts at a cheaper cost, but with this collaboration on prices the e-book versions were becoming even more expensive than hard copies. I am, in fact, impressed that money will be going back to consumers who bought e-books after all has been settled. I think consumers will be pleased at this action.
    From a Public Relations standpoint I was surprised Apple and Barnes & Nobles had no comment. When companies do not make a statement and take fault for what they are responsible for it immediately make them appear to look guilty. It would have been nice for the companies to acknowledge their wrongdoing and make peace with consumers who have been purchasing e-books from their company.
    Overall, Amazon has definitely earned a few extra brownie points by keeping their prices low and being in support of kindle owners throughout the anti-trust lawsuits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is no reason why anyone should have to pay more than 10 dollars for an e-book. The point of them is convience and size. If I pay more than 10 dollars I would just go out and buy a hardcopy.

    I understand that when you run a business you expect to turn a profit but what Apple was trying to do is more like stealing. I wish companies would stop trying to take over the world for a minute and just let their customers be happy. If its not broke, don't fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is absolutely no reason that an E-book should cost more than an actual paperback book. Yes, everyone is trying to turn a profit, but there is a point where it becomes ridiculous. With the E-book you completely cut out the middle man that is required with paperbooks. The E-book also avoids the cost of printing, the actual paper, the ink, est. Therefore, the common man knows that it should be cheaper. There is no way any consumer would willingly pay double for something we all know was cheaper to make. Personally, I find it a bit ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly, somehow this doesn't surprise me. With how much money is in the book industry, it's no surprise that greedy people just want more and more. I agree with KB and HP's statement and reason for e-books to begin with..... ugh, For the love of money, The O'Jays weren't kidding.

    ReplyDelete