This reminds me of this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/24/us/facebook-posts-can-offer-clues-of-depression.html?_r=1
It amazes me how much Facebook has become a part of a person's life. My rots most of the time. I post interesting articles I find and make jokes. That's about it.
At first I was thinking that a person's Facebook account should be locked once the person dies because it's no one's business to go poking around. Besides, you never know if someone is going to use it to post things about the person. I can't even imagine seeing an update from a friend of mine that say: "This is ____ mom. _____ has passed away." Talk about a tragic way to find out someone died.
I do understand that a family member may look at Facebook as a way to find some sort of connection or closure once someone dies, but there are other ways to do it. If a person wouldn't want another person poking around on their Facebook when they're alive, then respect them enough to not do it when they are dead.
This case is interesting because I have thought about this topic before. When people die it is difficult to know if they would want their Facebook to be deleted or not. I think the best way to please both the person who passed and their loved ones is to change the person’s page to “memorial setting”. This way friends and family can still go on the person who dies Facebook page but the regular Facebook setting will not be present. I feel that this is good because the person who died may not have wanted it to still be up for everyone to see once he/she has gone. Also, I agree with the article and think it is nice for the family to have an option to have Facebook delete the person’s page all together. I don’t know if this mom whose son died really had the right to be able to go on her son’s page or not. I believe it depends on how her relationship was with her son who died. It’s interesting to see how much media and the internet plays a role in our world. Fifteen years ago, this never would have been a concern. I find this fascinating.
I too find this article interesting. It's not everyday you find yourself asking, "If I die, what happens to my Facebook?" but this article opens that door. I agree with the previous posts in the fact that it may not be ethical for a loved one to fully have access to the deceased's account. When I read the begining of the article, about how the mother wanted to learn about her son through his Facebook, I couldn't help but find it strange. Is our generation really that technologically involved? In other words, are social networks really the only possible source to find out who a person really is? Another point I find interesting is how different states are trying to deal with this type of issue. Who should have access to someone's account if that person has passed? It is a tough call to say when we do have regulations about the right to privacy.
With several friends and family members who have passed and have been members of the popular social networking website, Facebook, I've always wondered how the company itself feels about controlling their accounts. It's very typical for friends and family members to post on the individual's wall as a remembrance and way to express their feelings about the person's loss, however I don't necessarily feel that relatives should just be granted access to that individual’s account once their loved one has passed. If that individual didn’t want their family members involved in their online account in the first place, I don’t think it they would just feel that it would be necessary for them to suddenly get that access after their death. However, in the case of a violent death that could have resulted in online bullying and excessive on/offline harassment, it might be necessary to access that information in the case of a lawsuit against another individual. That information can be valuable in proving or disproving harm to the individual who has passed either in murder or suicide. Online bullying and harassment are becoming such popular issues in our digital society now. I do believe laws should be set in place to control the “digital assets”, but the extent of the laws is still highly up in the air for me. I think every individual will have strong opinions on this topic as it becomes more popular, and that will make it more difficult for these laws to be established and enforced.
With several friends and family members who have passed and have been members of the popular social networking website, Facebook, I've always wondered how the company itself feels about controlling their accounts. It's very typical for friends and family members to post on the individual's wall as a remembrance and way to express their feelings about the person's loss, however I don't necessarily feel that relatives should just be granted access to that individual’s account once their loved one has passed. If that individual didn’t want their family members involved in their online account in the first place, I don’t think it they would just feel that it would be necessary for them to suddenly get that access after their death. However, in the case of a violent death that could have resulted in online bullying and excessive on/offline harassment, it might be necessary to access that information in the case of a lawsuit against another individual. That information can be valuable in proving or disproving harm to the individual who has passed either in murder or suicide. Online bullying and harassment are becoming such popular issues in our digital society now. I do believe laws should be set in place to control the “digital assets”, but the extent of the laws is still highly up in the air for me. I think every individual will have strong opinions on this topic as it becomes more popular, and that will make it more difficult for these laws to be established and enforced.
I don't see anything wrong with giving the deceased person's account over to loved ones. It's not like the deceased person can be hurt by having their family members or friends read what's on their profile. And if there is an issue over gaining custody of the account, parents should start making Facebook accounts themselves and have their children add them. That way, parents can see what's on their children's profiles in case of death. Sure, that's not exactly something a parent would want to think about, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
I don't think that Facebook should be able to keep loved ones from accessing a deceased person's account. Sure, Facebook may technically "own" the account since the person is using their website, but what good is Facebook doing by blocking access to loved ones? If the deceased person used Facebook a lot, the loved ones could learn things about the deceased that could help them mentally heal.
To a point, I do believe that a loved one should have access to your social networking ventures- to a point. To see how they interacted with people publicly, such as through pictures, videos, and wall posts (maybe even games, if they were into that), a loved one should have access to that material. If not for some form of closure, then for them to maintain that the person who once held that account is gone. After all, that material is public, for the most part.
However, I do believe that private messages should be kept that- private. Even after death, there are some things that many people don't want known. Sure, years later, letters and diaries are poured over, but this was something that people had control over. In my opinion, it's a matter of respect over anything else. Creating a hold over certain account features is not that difficult, and creating simple guidelines to deal with these issues will make things easier in the long run, as it will take the guesswork out of it all.
For lack of a better word...Wow. I have been sitting here trying to decide my opinion on what should happen to your facebook when you die and it's controversial even in my own head. On one hand I think it should be locked and deleted. On the other hand, however, it often really helps grieving family memebers. My aunt just lost her husband and often I see her updating on his status for him saying how much she misses him and things of the sort. In continuation many people in the family go on and comment telling him whats going on in theirlives, and missing him. While only his wife can log on, at least everyone still feels close and can comment. With it being locked and deleted they would not have this grieving process. However, if people can go poking arounf in someones private spaces they may find things they dont want to find, and that will make lossing them that much harder. Wow, this is a big, controversial topic that I never really gave two thoughts about. Now, though, I will be keeping up with this to see what happens.
This reminds me of this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/24/us/facebook-posts-can-offer-clues-of-depression.html?_r=1
ReplyDeleteIt amazes me how much Facebook has become a part of a person's life. My rots most of the time. I post interesting articles I find and make jokes. That's about it.
At first I was thinking that a person's Facebook account should be locked once the person dies because it's no one's business to go poking around. Besides, you never know if someone is going to use it to post things about the person. I can't even imagine seeing an update from a friend of mine that say: "This is ____ mom. _____ has passed away." Talk about a tragic way to find out someone died.
I do understand that a family member may look at Facebook as a way to find some sort of connection or closure once someone dies, but there are other ways to do it. If a person wouldn't want another person poking around on their Facebook when they're alive, then respect them enough to not do it when they are dead.
This case is interesting because I have thought about this topic before. When people die it is difficult to know if they would want their Facebook to be deleted or not. I think the best way to please both the person who passed and their loved ones is to change the person’s page to “memorial setting”. This way friends and family can still go on the person who dies Facebook page but the regular Facebook setting will not be present. I feel that this is good because the person who died may not have wanted it to still be up for everyone to see once he/she has gone. Also, I agree with the article and think it is nice for the family to have an option to have Facebook delete the person’s page all together. I don’t know if this mom whose son died really had the right to be able to go on her son’s page or not. I believe it depends on how her relationship was with her son who died. It’s interesting to see how much media and the internet plays a role in our world. Fifteen years ago, this never would have been a concern. I find this fascinating.
ReplyDeleteI too find this article interesting. It's not everyday you find yourself asking, "If I die, what happens to my Facebook?" but this article opens that door. I agree with the previous posts in the fact that it may not be ethical for a loved one to fully have access to the deceased's account. When I read the begining of the article, about how the mother wanted to learn about her son through his Facebook, I couldn't help but find it strange. Is our generation really that technologically involved? In other words, are social networks really the only possible source to find out who a person really is?
ReplyDeleteAnother point I find interesting is how different states are trying to deal with this type of issue. Who should have access to someone's account if that person has passed? It is a tough call to say when we do have regulations about the right to privacy.
With several friends and family members who have passed and have been members of the popular social networking website, Facebook, I've always wondered how the company itself feels about controlling their accounts.
ReplyDeleteIt's very typical for friends and family members to post on the individual's wall as a remembrance and way to express their feelings about the person's loss, however I don't necessarily feel that relatives should just be granted access to that individual’s account once their loved one has passed. If that individual didn’t want their family members involved in their online account in the first place, I don’t think it they would just feel that it would be necessary for them to suddenly get that access after their death.
However, in the case of a violent death that could have resulted in online bullying and excessive on/offline harassment, it might be necessary to access that information in the case of a lawsuit against another individual. That information can be valuable in proving or disproving harm to the individual who has passed either in murder or suicide. Online bullying and harassment are becoming such popular issues in our digital society now.
I do believe laws should be set in place to control the “digital assets”, but the extent of the laws is still highly up in the air for me. I think every individual will have strong opinions on this topic as it becomes more popular, and that will make it more difficult for these laws to be established and enforced.
With several friends and family members who have passed and have been members of the popular social networking website, Facebook, I've always wondered how the company itself feels about controlling their accounts.
ReplyDeleteIt's very typical for friends and family members to post on the individual's wall as a remembrance and way to express their feelings about the person's loss, however I don't necessarily feel that relatives should just be granted access to that individual’s account once their loved one has passed. If that individual didn’t want their family members involved in their online account in the first place, I don’t think it they would just feel that it would be necessary for them to suddenly get that access after their death.
However, in the case of a violent death that could have resulted in online bullying and excessive on/offline harassment, it might be necessary to access that information in the case of a lawsuit against another individual. That information can be valuable in proving or disproving harm to the individual who has passed either in murder or suicide. Online bullying and harassment are becoming such popular issues in our digital society now.
I do believe laws should be set in place to control the “digital assets”, but the extent of the laws is still highly up in the air for me. I think every individual will have strong opinions on this topic as it becomes more popular, and that will make it more difficult for these laws to be established and enforced.
I don't see anything wrong with giving the deceased person's account over to loved ones. It's not like the deceased person can be hurt by having their family members or friends read what's on their profile. And if there is an issue over gaining custody of the account, parents should start making Facebook accounts themselves and have their children add them. That way, parents can see what's on their children's profiles in case of death. Sure, that's not exactly something a parent would want to think about, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
ReplyDeleteI don't think that Facebook should be able to keep loved ones from accessing a deceased person's account. Sure, Facebook may technically "own" the account since the person is using their website, but what good is Facebook doing by blocking access to loved ones? If the deceased person used Facebook a lot, the loved ones could learn things about the deceased that could help them mentally heal.
To a point, I do believe that a loved one should have access to your social networking ventures- to a point. To see how they interacted with people publicly, such as through pictures, videos, and wall posts (maybe even games, if they were into that), a loved one should have access to that material. If not for some form of closure, then for them to maintain that the person who once held that account is gone. After all, that material is public, for the most part.
ReplyDeleteHowever, I do believe that private messages should be kept that- private. Even after death, there are some things that many people don't want known. Sure, years later, letters and diaries are poured over, but this was something that people had control over. In my opinion, it's a matter of respect over anything else. Creating a hold over certain account features is not that difficult, and creating simple guidelines to deal with these issues will make things easier in the long run, as it will take the guesswork out of it all.
For lack of a better word...Wow. I have been sitting here trying to decide my opinion on what should happen to your facebook when you die and it's controversial even in my own head. On one hand I think it should be locked and deleted. On the other hand, however, it often really helps grieving family memebers. My aunt just lost her husband and often I see her updating on his status for him saying how much she misses him and things of the sort. In continuation many people in the family go on and comment telling him whats going on in theirlives, and missing him. While only his wife can log on, at least everyone still feels close and can comment. With it being locked and deleted they would not have this grieving process. However, if people can go poking arounf in someones private spaces they may find things they dont want to find, and that will make lossing them that much harder. Wow, this is a big, controversial topic that I never really gave two thoughts about. Now, though, I will be keeping up with this to see what happens.
ReplyDelete